Alaska Fishing License
Information and Application

An Alaska fishing license is handy to have on your Alaskan Vacation. You can catch some fresh fish for dinner at some great camping spots. Or, if you just enjoy the sport of fishing but don't eat them, you can spend your time on lakes, rivers or ocean and do some 'catch and release' fishing.

Whatever you like to do, you can get your Alaska fishing license before you ever arrive. You won't have to waste any precious vacation time! Don't worry about your fishing license running out before you arrive—you'll write down the date you want the license to take effect, right on the application.

NOTE: If you are NOT certain of the date you'll arrive in Alaska, then wait until you get here to purchase your license. Fishing licenses can be purchased at almost any store that carries fishing or hunting supplies. That will be many stores along the Alaskan highways and even in remote villages.

Anyone under 16 years of age will NOT need an Alaska fishing license. So be sure to bring fishing poles for all the kids and let them do some of the work—or have fun, I should say, along with you!

Photo of Two Fishermen with Halibut Catch


Download and print the Alaska Fishing License Application Form. Or you can apply online for your fishing or hunting license. This is a fairly easy form to fill out. But if you want some help, here's a quick summary of how to fill it out. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game will RETURN an incomplete form, so ensure you fill out these items:

Starting at top, left side of form, fill out the easy stuff: Your name, mailing address, location of your home - if that's different from your mailing address, otherwise write "same" in the "physical location" box. They want a phone number to ensure they can find you, I guess, or if they have questions.

Your weight, eye color, hair color, height and sex is definitely for identification purposes—at least they're not asking for fingerprints! You can give an e-mail address if you want to.

Starting at the top, middle of form (boxes to the right of the name/address section), write the year you want the license issued for (if you want a one-year license), a fax number if you have one, circle "yes" or "no" in the US Citizen box, and write in your birth date.

Because you are coming to Alaska on a vacation, I'm assuming you fall into one of these two categories (for Alaska fishing license purposes):

  • Nonresident - A person who has not lived in Alaska for the preceding 12 months but is a resident of the United States; or an alien who has maintained a permanent place of abode in the United States.
  • Nonresident Alien - A person who is not a citizen of the United States nor has lived in the State of Alaska for the preceding 12 consecutive months.
Check whichever box is correct in the upper right corner of the form. Write in the date you plan on leaving for Alaska, so they'll know how fast you need your license.

Now skip to the bottom of the form, where it says "NONRESIDENT". Starting at the left, it gives you a choice of fishing licenses. You can purchase a 14-day, a 7-day, a 3-day or a 1-day Alaska fishing license. Circle the price of the one you want to purchase. Or you can purchase an annual fishing license, which is the Class 7 for $145.00. If you plan on coming to Alaska several times in one year, it might be worth it to you.

If you are a non-resident, but not an alien, and you'd also like to do some small game hunting on your vacation, circle Class 8A and pay an extra $20 for that privilege.

Items you have to pay extra for:

Planning on fishing for King Salmon? Circle the dollar amount in the box that says, "King Salmon Stamp" - near bottom, right-side of form. Circle 1-day, 3-day, 7-day, 14-day, or annual amount, to match the Alaska Fishing license you selected.

If you also circled the Class 8A "small game hunting" and you plan on hunting waterfowl of any kind, you'll have to purchase a Waterfowl Conservation Stamp (Duck Stamp). That is only an extra $5.00. But you also need to enroll in the Harvest Information Program. That means you need to know a lot more about where, when and what type of waterfowl you'll be hunting. So, it might be easier to purchase these after you arrive in Alaska. You can enroll in the program and purchase the stamps at any authorized hunting and fishing license vendor (most stores that carry fishing or hunting supplies).

For more information about the Duck Stamps or Harvest Information Program, contact: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), Law Enforcement, 1011 E. Tudor Road, Anchorage, AK 99503, Phone: 907-786-3311

To finish the application — the next box below the Non-Resident section, has a place to write the date you plan on starting fishing and/or hunting. You also have to write the HOUR that you plan on starting. Now, that's being particular, isn't it? But those are the rules!

Now read the information in the last box on the page. Basically, it says to tell the truth and don't have a license that's been revoked or suspended anyplace else. If you have filled the form out with the correct information and you don't have a revoked or suspended fishing/hunting license elsewhere, then sign the form and date it.

Almost finished. Now fill out the section in the middle of the form that asks how you are going to pay for the license fees. You can ONLY pay by check, money order, Visa or Mastercard. Circle one of those and if paying with a credit or debit card, enter the card number, expiration date and sign the signature line in that section.

If paying by check or money order, make it to the State of Alaska. Mail the application with payment to the address in the upper, left corner of this form. If paying by credit or debit card, fax it to 907-465-2440, or scan and e-mail to: If you mail it in, you'll have to wait up to 4 weeks before receiving your license.


Getting your Alaska fishing license is only one part of being prepared to go fishing. You will also need to know all the rules and regulations, such as bag limits, or which areas are closed to certain types of fishing, etc. These rules change regularly, so check with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game for each area where you'd like to fish.

Contact information for Sport Fishing Questions: Juneau: 907-465-4270, Anchorage: 907-267-2218, Fairbanks: 907-459-7207

Also, if you still have questions about the Alaska fishing license, you can call: 907-465-2376 or e-mail questions to: Hope this helps you save some time on your Alaskan vacation. And if you don't know where you're going to go fishing yet, start with the first regional page on Alaska fishing vacations...

Return to Top of Alaska Fishing License Page

Return To Fishing in Alaska Page

Return to Tips for Backwoods Alaska Vacations Home Page